Diabetes is a nightmare for many of us, and we believe it is to be something that kills our diet. You would be afraid to eat anything on the planet, thinking about your raising blood sugar levels. But does it really matter to be afraid of every food that reaches your dining table? If you are tested positive for diabetes, is it necessary to live a life of hell, leaving all your favorite dishes? Not really if you are well equipped with this secret knowledge. The knowledge about the best diabetic meal replacement shakes would become a handful and needy in these situations. So cheer up, buddies, and have a quick look below to find out which are the best meal replacement shakes for diabetes.
What is Diabetes?
The rules of this world are simple. Know your enemy well before you start a fight with him. Else you are going to fail miserably. Here the foe is the situation called diabetes. So before we peep into meal replacement shakes for diabetics, we should ask the simple question – What is diabetes?
Diabetic is nothing but a condition of your body rather than a disease. Calling this one disease would be just helpful in lowering your confidence, so better use the term “condition.” Technically, Diabetes Mellitus is a metabolic condition in which you have a high blood sugar level for an extended period. Now let us get in deep – What happens to the food that you eat? It gets converted into energy. But that doesn’t happen easily. Your body is made up of cells, and the conversion of food to energy takes place there. So when you start eating, the body senses it and produces a hormone called insulin. This insulin summons the cells and informs them that blood is reaching you with the food. On the summoning of insulin, cells are ready to convert the blood sugar levels into useful energy. Thus, the energy conversion occurs in your cells while the blood sugar level decreases. Diabetes is the condition in which this metabolism process doesn’t function smoothly, leading to an increased blood sugar level.
Difference Between Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
The American diabetes association has classified diabetes into two – type 1 and type 2. Whenever you eat, insulin hormone is given to blood from pancreas cells to maintain sugar levels. In type 1 – diabetes, The pancreas fails to generate insulin into the blood, or even if generated, it is in fewer amounts. This creates a hindrance to our metabolism and the process of energy conversion at cells. Thus the blood sugar level rises and is medically described as type 1 – diabetes. Across the globe, nearly 10 percent of our diabetic population is diagnosed with type 1 – diabetes. Insulin injections are the most common aid in the treatment of type 1 – diabetes.
Type 2 – diabetes is a similar condition in which insulin is produced by the pancreas but at a lower level. Type 2 – diabetes is also a condition in which your body becomes more insulin resistant and responds poorly. This would lead to an accumulation of blood sugar levels and even lead to other medical conditions, including hypertension. Insulin injection alone won’t help in the treatment of type 2 – diabetes. Exercises, weight loss techniques, medications, and pretty other stuff would be needed to maintain the sugar level. The diabetic meal comes into the act in this condition, and knowledge about the best diabetic meal replacement shakes would help stay away from harm to your tummy. 90 % of the diabetic population in the world is diagnosed with type 2 – diabetes.
Diabetic Meal Replacement Shakes
As said earlier, to maintain normal blood sugar levels, staying fit is essential. So hitting the gym and working out with your entire mind becomes necessary. But how can we maintain a diabetic diet? The best answer is to include protein shakes in your diet and replace your old diet. If you work out at gyms, you would be familiar with many pre, and post-workout protein shakes. They are so common in the new era lifestyle that there is no shame in adding those smoothies to your diet. Given below are some protein shakes and smoothies that would also help to maintain your sugar levels. You can choose your best diabetic weight loss shake from this list.
You are diagnosed with diabetes, but for your misfortune, chocolate is banned from your diet. How would hardcore chocolate lovers survive such a misfortune? No worries, chocolate lovers. Having a chocolate smoothie even if you have diabetes won’t harm you unless it is overloaded with sugar. Make an icy smoothie that is sugar-free and with protein-rich almond milk, protein powders, and all-time best cottage cheese. Also, don’t forget to mix it up with unsweetened cocoa powder and liquid chocolate stevia. Diabetes won’t deny your love for a sweet chocolate treat, and neither your tummy nor your health-conscious mind would feel depressed.
- Cocoa powder unsweetened – 2 tablespoons
- Whey protein powder – 1 scoop
- Cottage cheese – ½ cup
- Liquid chocolate stevia – as per requirement
- Almond milk unsweetened – ¼ cup
- Ice cubes – 3 if required
- Add cocoa powder, almond milk, and cottage cheese to the blender first, and after slight blending, add remaining ingredients.
MIXED BERRY SMOOTHIE
Do you feel worried – Berries are there for any hard times of your life. Although berries are a typical carbohydrate food item, they do not add up to blood glucose levels like other items like bread. Because berries have fructose as the sugar content, and a 2008 study proves fructose to be less contribution to the blood glucose levels. So you can go on with berries in your diet, but keep a limit as they belong to the carbohydrate category. The making is easier – Liquid enhancers alongside protein powders and lots of raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries. Anyhow try to avoid whipped cream addition as they contribute more to your glucose levels. Anyhow, Berries have been all-time best food, and the anti-oxidants present in them will surely benefit your body in many other ways too.
- Whey protein powder – 2 scoops
- Fresh chopped frozen berries of different types – 1 cup
- Coldwater – 2 cups
- Berry flavor enhancers- 1 tablespoon
- Ice cubes – 2 if required
- Keep aside whey powder and blend all remaining ones first. Later add up scoops of whey powder and makeup to the required consistency.
PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY PROTEIN NUTRITIONAL SHAKE
Peanut butter is the favorite food item among gym lovers. Anyone who hits the gym would recommend sprouted loaves of bread and peanut butter combination to maintain low calorie. But having peanut butter with highly carbohydrate-rich bread would provide opposite results for diabetic people. Low sugar or No sugar jams or jellies are added to this drink alongside peanut butter. Extra dosage of protein powders and cottage cheese would make the perfect blend, and this can be one of the best nutritional shakes for diabetes.
- Protein powder – 1 cup
- Cottage Cheese – half cup
- Peanut Flour – 2 tablespoons
- Strawberry jelly – 1 tablespoon
- Sweetener – As per requirement
- Salt – As per requirement
- Water – nearly half a cup
- 2 or 3 drops of maple extract
- Ice cubes – 5 if required
- Blend all the ingredients with a blender and have it with love mode on minds.
RICE PROTEIN SHAKE
This one is among the top-rated shakes but would recommend avoiding if you are pregnant. Here, we use rice protein powder instead of normal ones alongside frozen or fresh fruits. Adding up nuts would make the context-rich in nature and tastier. The Anti-inflammatory properties of borage oil used in this shake stand out as magical ingredients. Anyhow if you are pregnant or possess digestive issues, start omitting the magical component from the recipe.
- Rice Protein powder – 2 scoops
- Borage oil – 1 tablespoon
- Water chilled – 8 ounces
- Frozen fruits chopped – half a cup
- Nuts and flaxseeds – half a cup
- Ice cubes- 3 if required
- Blend all using a blender till the required combination is produced and serve.
STRAWBERRY BANANA SMOOTHIE
Diabetic patients or anyone who works out to reduce fat would be having oats meal. But on the due time, many of you would get bored eating strawberries, bananas, and other fruits along with oats meal. Everyone wishes for a change, and so here is the deal for you. Keep aside the boring oats meal; add up some yogurt, almond milk, and stevia to get a fascinating nutritional meal replacement smoothie.
- Unsweetened Yogurt – half a cup
- Unsweetened almond milk – 1 cup
- Paleofiber powder – 1 tablespoon
- Chopped banana – half cup
- Chopped strawberries – quarter a cup
- Vanilla extract – half tablespoon
- Blend all ingredients mentioned above in a blender
APPLE CINNAMON SOYA SHAKE
Just like Berries, apple is another all-time fruit for any worries that you face in your entire lifetime. Apple is so dominant that even the phrase “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” was born. Anyhow here, we don’t mean natural apple juice. This one includes finely chopped fresh apple cubes along with soya and dairy milk blocks. And as ice topping on the cake, a sprinkle of cinnamon would end the story. This tummy-filling nutritional shake for fighting diabetes would undoubtedly help in maintaining blood sugar levels. Never forget that these are meal replacement shakes, and if you overtake with more food, the result would be negative.
- Chopped fresh apple cubes- 3 cups
- Chilled Soya Milk – 1 Cup
- Low fat/Fat-free Milk – 2 cups
- Cinnamon powder – half tablespoon
- Blend all in a mixer and serve. Can add sugar if you don’t mind sacrificing your fight against diabetes for your guests.
FRENCH TOAST SHAKE
Eyebrows would be rising when you hear a French toast shake for lowering blood sugar. But it is expected as French toast shakes are known for high sugar content as they are drenched with powdered sugars and sugar syrup. But here, we try another version where we completely avoid sugars and add up protein powder as the main ingredient. Alongside protein powders, cottage cheese and maple syrup are used to get an authentic feel.
- Protein powder – 1 scoop
- Cottage cheese – half cup
- Cinnamon powder – half tablespoon
- Maple extract – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 1 Cup
- Ice cubes- 5 if required
- Blend all using a blender till the required combination is produced and serve.
Benefits of Meal Replacement Shakes
As the name suggests, meal replacements shakes are nothing but health supplements designed in a scientific way to help you skip your meal. Many of us would b wondering how does a meal replacement is right for your health. These meal replacement shakes for diabetes are actually useful in other ways as they are well known in different names as weight loss shakes for diabetes or the best diet shakes for diabetes. They are best in terms because, along with fixing diabetic issues, they also provide nutrients and other required vitals to your body, keeping both your body and tummy fit. So the best meal replacement shakes for diabetes works beneficial in both ways and should not be missed in a lifetime. Now let us briefly look into the benefits of having a meal replacement drink.
- Weight Loss: Weight loss is something that is to be maintained with a perfect diet and exercise. But meal replacement shakes for diabetes are also proven to be useful in the weight loss process. Treating these shakes for diabetics as a weight loss technique in the long term won’t be recommended.
- Time Saver: In the busy and hectic world of the modern era, time is wealth for all of us. Having a meal would take your valuable time, and many of us are even prone to the habit of skipping meals. Reasons would be time wasted upon preparing a healthy meal or even time is taken to consume the same. Meal replacement shakes for diabetes play the role here as they are portable. They don’t harm your valuable time and better help you in saving a significant amount of time. Next time you doubt a meal replacement shake for your diabetes, start off having one while traveling. Surely you will be thankful for the valuable time saved in your hectic life.
- Nutrient powerhouse: All the best diet shakes for diabetes won’t fall in this category. It is totally based upon which one you selected, but mostly all are nutrient-rich. They will never miss out on the vital nutrients required for your body and so wish happy nutrient season for your cells.
- Lesser Cholesterol and Lesser Calorie: Who doesn’t like to get discounts on anything that you buy? Meal replacement shakes bets out to be the race winner with these benefits provided. They are always less than 500 calories and never harm your body as a high-calorie meal does. Also, many of the best meal replacement shakes available around are low in cholesterol, and some even help fight higher cholesterol levels.
Importance of Meal Replacement Shakes for Diabetics
Certain factors are required to kept in mind while choosing your meal replacement drink. Many of our worries are about a myth – “protein shakes are harmful to drink for a diabetic person.” Such myths are a byproduct of less knowledge about what to look for in a meal replacement shake. Now let us look into those factors that would help you in choosing great deals.
- Fewer Calories: The prime and foremost factor to be considered while selecting your meal replacement drink for diabetes. The higher the calorie above the limit, the negative impact would be the outcome you face. This includes weight gaining, lack of fitness, and an increase in sugar levels too. So better choose drinks that are between the ranges of 200 to 450 calories per serving. They should also be sufficient to fill your stomach and drive away from the urge to eat more.
- High Protein Content: Protein shake with calorie values and protein levels in the high range would not make up meal replacement shake for diabetes. The best diet shake for diabetes would have high protein content and low calorie. So always remember protein shakes never harm diabetic patients, higher calorie levels in them would hurt you.
- Free from Additives: No use if your meal replacement shake is filled with artificial additives, especially sugar-based additives. Stick on to nature and say goodbye to the product even if a little bit is added to it. Go green eco mode else red lights on your diabetes levels would surprise you even after working hard in the long fight.
What is Prediabetes?
Consider prediabetes as an alarming sign from your body. If you test your blood sugar levels and find it slightly higher, it is not time to take a nap. It is time to work on yourself because this can signify type 2 diabetes in your near future. The only way to escape from the risk is to maintain your physique with adequate lifestyle changes and diet plans. The body’s fitness is also a factor, and abdominal fat is something to be worked upon to avoid the risk of having type 2 diabetes. As long as you stay fit both physically and mentally, the chances go downhill of the graph.
Nutrients Must Include in your Diabetes Diet
So as said earlier, the risk of diabetes should be avoided. Even if you are diagnosed with any type of diabetes or prediabetic nature, it is time to take a diabetic diet. It is also useful for any human being to marinate their fitness. What do you mean by a diabetic diet? It is nothing but having lots of fiber-containing food alongside low fat and low-calorie food items. Anyhow it should be done scientifically and not in a hurry.
- Carbohydrates: They directly impact your blood sugar levels as they possess the nature of breaking down to glucose during digestion. But does that mean complete negligence to carbohydrate-containing foods? Never do that. Carbohydrate is essential for your body, and keeping it aside won’t end up positively but instead would lead to further complexities. Use highly fiber-rich carbohydrate food items so that they don’t harm your blood glucose levels harder.
- Proteins: Plant-based proteins are found to be more effective in fighting diabetes. So veggie lovers, especially soy lovers, can rejoice; it is part-time to have more protein in your body.
- Fatty Acids: They don’t possess a direct impact, but omega-3 containing fatty acids are found to be beneficial for lowering your cholesterol levels. Either won’t harm your sugar level so that it can be worth a try.
Hope all the above pieces of information have helped in your search for the best meal replacement shake. If you reach a diabetologist or a family doctor, start the fight after a short appointment with him. Before starting, final words would be needy and notify us if we missed out on anything for you in this article. So shut your old meal system, dear mates, and we wish a triumphant win in your fight against the weak enemy – diabetes. Please share this article if you feel it useful. Have a Nice Day…