You are out shopping and happens to spot a beautiful evening dress that you have wanted for some time. You pick the dress up and head into the changing room and try to get into the ‘beauty,’ only to realize your greatest nightmare – belly fat. All that cravings you have had recently has taken its toll on your body. You drown in despair but at once, gather yourself that you are going to get rid of your extra fitting for the better. Before you know it, you are already googling ‘how to lose belly fat for teenage girls’ with utmost dedication to bring about a change.
Well, my lovelies, this determination, and strong will are all that is required to make your goal happen. So buckle up, ladies, and let us look into the different ways to get rid of that stubborn little belly fat.
Why Belly Fat? – The Causes of Belly Fat in Teenagers
In today’s fast pacing world, almost half the population deals with obesity and weight control issues. Teenagers occupy an alarming amount in the figure mentioned above. At this age, with the habit of eating a lot of calories and following a lethargic lifestyle, chances for a wobbly tummy are on the rise. There are a lot of other reasons as to why this happens.
One of the most common reasons for belly fat is that the calories that go in do not often go out and are stored as fats. One of the best ways to keep this in check is to know your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), which will be the number of calories you’d burn if you stayed in bed all day.
The Kind of Food that you Eat:
Your choice of foods often plays a significant role in the formation of your belly fat. Excessive sugar intake, especially in soft drinks, is known to cause abdominal obesity in teenagers. Sugar, in particular fructose, slows down metabolism and fat burning never actually happens.
A ‘beer belly’ is a term that is now common among teenage girls. The excessive calories from alcohol consumption are stored as fat, and like sugar, slows down fat burning and metabolism.
The Deadly Trans Fat:
The worst offender, which everyone, especially teenagers, should avoid at all costs, is trans fats. These are fats that are treated by adding hydrogen to them. These are mostly found in junk food like burgers and fried chicken to make them last longer on the shelves before going down your tummy, thereby creating inflammations in your bodies.
Being a Couch Potato:
It is an ‘in’ thing among teenagers to binge-watch Netflix and eat their favorite junk foods. Being completely immobile on one side and taking in many fats on the other is a big factor that causes putting on your belly fat.
Being Night Owls:
Sleep affects our weight. Teenagers who stay up late are on the rise, and as a result, they develop belly fat. Disrupted sleep cycles also cause sleep-disordered breathing, such as sleep apnoea, which is linked with higher amounts of belly fat.
Stress is a significant factor that causes belly fat. It is on the rise among teenagers, and so is the increasing production of cortisol in their bodies. This, in turn, encourages the body to deposit fat on your bellies.
Another major factor can be your genes. People often say, “oh, it’s in the genes…my mum is fat, my mum’s mom is fat, her mum is fat …and so I am too.” Some genes are markers for obesity. A 2011 study states that more than 40 known gene variants are associated with obesity and fat distribution.
20 Tips and tricks to Lose Your Teenage Belly Fat
Fats are of two types. There can be good fats as well as bad fats. While the former ones do not sound so bad, the latter ones can be pretty harmful. Belly fat often causes more harm than making your clothes feel tight. This type of dangerous fat is referred to as visceral fat and is often a significant risk factor for cardiovascular diseases and type 2 diabetes. Fasten your seatbelt, and jump on board to know the tips and tricks to lose belly fat in teenage girls.
Eating Soluble Fiber:
Soluble fiber often soaks up water and forms a gel that slows down food as it goes down your digestive system. This kind of fiber promotes losing weight by helping you feel full, and hence you automatically eat less. Excellent sources of soluble fiber include:
- Flax seeds
- Shirataki noodles
- Brussels sprouts
Eating a High Protein Diet:
Proteins are incredibly beneficial for weight management. Proteins, like soluble fibers, decrease appetite, promote fullness, and raise your metabolic rate, thereby helping you keep back muscle mass during weight loss. Be sure to include an adequate protein in the source at every meal, such as:
- Whey protein
Replace your Cooking Fats with Coconut Oil:
Researches show that the medium-chain fats in coconut oil may amplify the metabolism rate and lowers the amount of fat you store as a result of high-calorie intake, thereby aiding weight loss.
Walk Every Day:
Walking is a pretty good alternative if you don’t have a fixed exercise regime. Brisk walking for an average of 45 minutes per day is known to burn stored fat, especially useful for burning internal belly fat called visceral fat. These are known to increase the risk of diabetes and heart diseases.
Include Healthy Fats in your Diet:
Not all fats are considered harmful. There are healthy fats found in the form of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Adding these to your diet can help you feel more satiated. Healthy fats include:
- Olive oil
- Fatty fish
Cutting Back on Carbs (Refined Carbs):
Intake of refined carbs in massive amounts is often associated with excessive belly fat. Reduce your carb intake by replacing refined carbs in your diet with healthy sources of carbohydrates, such as whole grains, legumes, or vegetables.
Eat Fatty Fish Every Week:
Fatty fish are incredibly healthy. They’re abundant with good quality protein and omega-3 fats that protect you from diseases and also helps to reduce your visceral fat. Try including 2–3 servings of fatty fish in your diet every week. Good choices include:
Add Apple Cider Vinegar to your Diet Plan:
Apple cider vinegar is known for its impressive health benefits, including lowering blood sugar levels. It is composed of acetic acid, which reduces abdominal fat storage in many closed studies.
Probiotic Food or Probiotic Supplement is a Must:
Probiotics (good bacteria) found in certain foods and supplements are known to have many health benefits that include improved gut health and enhanced immunity. Scientists have found that different types of bacteria play a role in regulating and balancing weight. Thus, helping with weight loss, including loss of belly fat.
Try Intermittent Fasting:
A type of diet control, known as intermittent fasting, is an eating pattern with alternating eating and fasting periods. Many closed studies suggest that intermittent fasting may be one of the most successful ways to lose weight and belly fat in teenage girls.
Drink Green Tea:
Green tea is a widely known beverage known for its extensive health benefits as it contains antioxidant epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) and caffeine, both of which are known to boost metabolism. Studies show that EGCG helps to lose belly fat in teenage girls. The effects are strengthened when green tea is consumed, combined with exercise.
Perform Resistance Training (Lift Weights):
Weight lifting or strength training, also known as resistance training, is essential for conserving and maintaining muscle mass. Studies show that resistance training helps people with prediabetes, type 2 diabetes, and fatty liver diseases to lose their belly fat with ease.
Do Aerobic Exercise (cardio):
Aerobic exercises are the best ways to improve your health and burn calories. Closed studies suggest that indulging in aerobic exercises often aids in the effective slimming of your waistline.
Avoid Liquid Sugars:
Fruit juice could be just like bad as sugary soda when it comes to fat gain. Avoiding all sources of liquid sugar all together increases the chance to lose belly fat in teenage girls.
Make Sure to Drink Lots of Water:
Teenagers often tend to drink more sugary drinks than water. In order to lose belly fat in teenage girls, one should substitute those drinks with water instead.
Make Meals Smaller and Eat More Frequently:
Replace your daily 3 large meals with 3 smaller meals and 3 healthy snacks. Eating more frequently during the day aids in boosting your metabolism, which in turn helps you burn more calories. Thus, speeding up the process of belly fat loss.
Don’t Skip Breakfast:
One significant benefit of having your breakfast on time is that they jumpstart your metabolism, thereby helping you burn up more calories throughout the day. Some healthy breakfasts include:
- Oatmeal with fruits and nuts
- Chia seed pudding
- Overnight oats
Minimize Starchy Foods:
In our body, starch is often broken down into sugar. When there is excessive sugar accumulation in your body, it gets stored as fat. A number of the starchy foods that you could avoid:
- Polished rice
- Corn flour
Select Dairy Products:
The intake of three dairy products such as milk, yogurt, buttermilk, and cheese will help boost your immunity, improve your digestive function, and make your bones stronger. It will also help you shed that extra layer of fat, which will make you feel full most of the time.
Vitamin C Intake:
Vitamin C plays a prominent role in keeping your stress and many health problems at bay as it helps in digestion and maintains your blood pressure. Studies show that consuming fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C helps to shed stubborn belly fat in teenagers. Foods rich in vitamin C include:
- Oranges and lemons
- Bell peppers
15 Exercises to Lose Belly Fat for Teenage Girls
1. Common Burpees
How to Do:
- Let us start by standing on your feet with proper maintenance of one shoulder-distance
- Now start sending your hips back and lower your body towards the bottom with a low squat mode.
- Hop your feet back, keeping your hands aside, allowing your chest to touch the floor.
- Push your hands towards the ground to lift up into a plank, and then jump your feet just outside your hands.
- Pressuring weight on your feet, start jumping vigorously with both arms in an overhead position.
NOTE: Don’t drop your head and try to keep your chin lifted to maintain a neutral spine.
2. The Mountain Climbers
How to Do :
- Start off by getting into a high-plank position with your wrists directly kept under your shoulders.
- Try to keep your core upright and tight, drawing your belly button in toward your spinal area.
- Now move your right knee toward your chest region and then bring it back to plank position.
- Then, start driving your left knee towards your chest and back to your position. For achieving results faster, continue these on alternate sides.
NOTE: Keep in mind not to bounce on your toes as you start your work out session.
How to Do:
- The initial step would be to lie down flat on your yoga mat with a relaxed mind.
- Then bend your knees using the feet flat. Your feet need to be hip-width apart while doing this exercise.
- Now lift both of your hands and take them behind your head. Then with your head on your palms or your thumbs just behind your ears, do those as mentioned above without interlocking your fingers. (Don’t forget to Inhale deeply well in this position)
- The next step is slowly lifting your upper torso off the floor to your possible extent (deeply exhaling at the time of this posture) without changing any other body part’s position.
- And then go back to the previous lying position that you started off with. Also, inhale when you go back down.
- Repetitions are the key, and don’t be ashamed to repeat the crunches.
NOTE: Try to maintain a three-inch distance between your chests and chin not to strain hard your neck region. Also, focus primarily on the belly, not merely the lift.
4. Flutter Kicks
How to Do:
- Introductory posture is lying on your mat. Then keep both of your legs together and push them extending forward in front.
- Now tighten the abs and lift your feet off the ground. Begin moving your both legs up and down.
- Repetition of 15 per set will be preferred if you are ready to practice these for a round of 3.
NOTE: Please do not move your head up while performing the kicking motion posture because this will ensure you are using the correct parts of your body instead of the less important ones.
5. Lunges with Front Kicks
How to Do:
- You shall begin with your feet together.
- Then step back with your one foot to make a complete lunge.
- Now step back to the initial position, swing your leg through, and then complete a kick.
- Return to your initial position again
- Repetition of 14 to 15 per set preferred.
NOTE: Try to avoid arching your lower back and always keep your abdominals fully engaged.
6. Crab Toe Touches
How to Do:
- Take a seat on your mat with feet in front of you and your knees bent.
- Now place your hands behind you and lift your hips off the mat.
- Bringing your right hand up while simultaneously lifting your left leg up. Try touching your left foot using the right hand.
- Now you can return to an elevated position and also go on with switching sides.
- Keep alternating back and forth.
- Preferred repetitions per set are limited to 16 and go on above the limit only if you are confident enough.
NOTE: Always keep the core engaged, your back neutral, relax your neck, and then lift your hips as high as possible. Also, try to switch legs quickly, without losing form, and maintain a steady breathing pattern for your respiratory system.
7. Bicycle Crunches
How to Do:
- Just start by lying on your mat and keep your hands either by your sides or behind the head
- Now try to lift both legs off the ground and then bend them at the knees
- Bring your right knee very close to your chest to your limits, keeping your left leg away as much as possible
- Then take away your right leg and bring your left leg close to your chest region. Also, keep doing it as if you are paddling a bicycle for fun.
- 15 repetitions per set, and then try switching your sides.
NOTE: Keep in mind not to strain your neck area to get your knee and elbow closer together. Instead, loosen your fingers and rest them gently towards the back of your head.
8. Reverse Crunches
How to Do:
- Get started by lying flat on the back and putting your leg up at a 90-degree angle like a right-angled triangle.
- Now place both hands flat.
- Then pull your legs and hips up while try bringing your knees toward your chest area.
- Set of 15 each and repetition of 4 to 5 sets would end up in a good sweating session.
NOTE: On the downward return, make sure that you do not roll past an acceptable limit, and therefore, the knees end up in front of the hips.
How to Do:
- Please Turn-over on your front and place your elbows underneath your shoulders.
- Now Flex feet and lift your entire body, making it parallel.
- Try to hold on for 60 seconds.
- Try this for 2 minutes and then gradually rise up the barrier to 5 minutes.
NOTE: Remember not to spread your hand too far apart as the planking position is different from your push-up position.
10. Lying Leg Raises
How To Do:
- Start off by lying down on your mat. Place your thumbs under your hips and palms flat on the ground. Raise your feet from the ground a little, look up at the ceiling, and engage your core. Here is the starting position.
- Now raise both your legs to 90 degrees and slowly bring them back down with a steady pace and rhythm.
- Right before touching the ground, lift up your legs again. Repetitions of 3 with 15 per set would do the work.
NOTE: Try not to place your feet entirely on the floor or push your hips up with your hands during leg lift.
11. Common Sit-ups
How To Do:
- Sit-ups are basic ones and so start off by lying on your mat with a calm mind.
- Then flex your knees, and put your heels on the mat. Engage your core and put your hands at the back of your head. Now try to Lift your head and shoulders off the floor and look towards the ceiling. Here is the initial position.
- Make use of your core strength to raise your body from the ground and arrive at a sitting position.
- Return back to the initial position slowly. Do 2 sets of 12 reps keeping in mind that nothing works better than sit-ups.
NOTE: Getting confused between sit-ups and crunches are common. You ought to literally sit up and return back to the initial position to complete the sit-ups. Try not to bring your elbows very close while sitting up, making you understand the difference between both modes.
12. Heel Touch
How To Do:
- Please lie down on a mat. Keep your legs flexed, feet wider and flat. Keep your hands side by side, shoulders relaxed, chin up, and core engaged.
- Bend sideways, and you will need to touch your right heel with the right hand.
- Then bend towards the other side and attempt to touch your left heel with the left hand.
- Do 20 of these exercises to complete one set. Do 3 sets of 20 reps and take a 20-second break before moving on to the next set so that you are not burned out.
13. The Russian Twist
How To Do:
- Initially sitting on the mat, lift both your legs, keep your knees flexed, and then lean back a little. Join your palms to balance your body. This is the starting position.
- Now twist your upper thorax to the left and then to the right alternatively.
NOTE: Do not hold your breath while doing this exercise as it would bring out bad conclusions.
I think you are aware of that right. Only walking can significantly help toward the work out for your belly fat reduction. 45 – 60 minutes of brisk walking each and every day may do wonders for your metabolism. It also ensures that you don’t over-train, which results in the over-production of cortisol – a stress hormone that has been proven to play a role in stomach fat. If your walking helps you to unwind from a stressful day or work through emotions that might otherwise stress you out, there’s a chance it’ll help you lower cortisol levels.
Pilates is a physical fitness system developed during the early 20th century by Joseph Pilates, after whom it had been named. Pilates called his method “Contrology.” This is the art of controlled movements, which should look and feel like a workout when properly manifested. If practiced with consistency, Pilates improves flexibility, builds strength, and develops control and endurance in the entire body. It puts focus on alignment, breathing, developing a solid core, and improving coordination and balance.
Belly fat can often be a big hindrance to confidence among many teenage girls. If you are struggling to lose weight, refer to these tips and tricks, and get the desired effect you want. Be consistent in your regime, as consistency is the key for any method to work. Last but not least, always remember that you are beautiful no matter what shape, size, and color you come in.
We have provided the best ways to lose your belly fat for teenage girls, and please share your valuable comments and feedback below or contact us if you find something missing out in our articles. Always remember your feedback helps us improve and prosper, and we will be waiting out for valuable responses from our guests.
Check this article: 32 Foods that Burn Belly Fat Fast.
Please share this article if you feel it useful…Cheers !!